Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 - 35 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
For the shortbread:
- 175g unsalted butter 75g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped out
- 225g plain flour
For the caramel:
- 1 tin carnation caramel
- 1tsp sea salt
- 8 cardamom pods crushed to release seeds
For the topping:
- 400g dark or milk chocolate
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan assisted) /180°C / Gas mark 4 and line a 20cm square cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a food processor blitz together the flour, sugar, butter and vanilla seeds to make a dough. Press the dough into your tin and prick all over with a fork. Bake the dough for six minutes, then reduce the temperature of the oven to 130°C (fan assisted) /150°C / Gas mark 2 and bake for a further 30 - 35 minutes.
- For the caramel, warm the caramel in a pan and add the sea salt and crushed cardamom seeds. Pour the caramel mixture over the shortbread. Chill in the fridge until the caramel has cooled and hardened slightly.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, pour the chocolate over the caramel. Chill in the fridge again until the chocolate has set, then cut into squares.